Post-Study Work in Australia

Post-Study Work in Australia

Post-Study Work in Australia


The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) will introduce new post-study work arrangements in early 2013 for overseas graduates who hold an Australian Bachelor's, Master's or a Doctoral degree, a DIAC spokeswoman announced.

According to the announcement, the new post-study work arrangements is an additional stream in the existing temporary skilled graduate (subclass 485) visa which allows overseas graduates with skills and qualifications related to an in-demand occupation to remain in Australia for an additional 18 months. The introduction of new post-study work arrangements for degree level graduates in Australia was a key recommendation of the Strategic review of the student visa program 2011, conducted by the Hon Michael Knight AO.

The post-study work stream of the subclass 485 will be available for overseas students who lodged their first Australian student visa application after the introduction of the genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) on November 5, 2011.

If applicants do not meet the requirement, they can still apply for the temporary graduate visa through the graduate work stream (the existing subclass 485 arrangements).

To qualify for the new post-study work arrangements, applicants must graduate from an Australian educational institution with a Bachelor's, Master's and/or Doctoral degree. To complete this qualification, the study must have been at Bachelor level and above and must meet the Australian study requirement.

“Graduates who have completed a Bachelor degree or Masters by coursework degree in Australia will be eligible to apply for a two year post-study work visa.

Graduates who have completed a Masters by research degree or a PhD in Australia will be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa for three or four years respectively.”

To apply for PSW Visa in Australia, the applicant must have completed a Bachelor degree (or a higher level course such as a Masters or PhD) obtained in Australia.

Graduates must also meet the Australian study requirement. The Australian study requirement is defined as study in a course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) for a period of at least 2 academic years (92 weeks). The course itself should be conducted in English and should be completed in no less than 16 calendar months while holding a visa that permits study.

English language, health, character and security requirements will need to be met and evidence of adequate health insurance for the duration of the visa will need to be provided. For PSW in Australia the English language requirement is must, which is a minimum score of 6 in each of the four components of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test or the equivalent score in another English language test that may be specified by the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship for use with this visa. These new arrangements will be ready for students who made their student visa applications after 5 November 2011, the date on which the first Knight Review measures were implemented. These students will begin to graduate from mid 2013 onwards, so the post-study work visa arrangements are designed to be ready for them in 2013.

Check Official Immigration  Website for New Updates